If you celebrate Halloween, or not, these raw, vegan, paleo, gluten-free, pistachio based Monster Eye Balls are a delicious snack! Thanks to our friends at The Source Bulk Foods in Cairns, we were asked to help out and make a tasty healthy Halloween treat using some of their great bulk dry raw goods, and that will be loved by all and would be shared in Pakmag! You can see the full spread and the two shared recipes here! Or if you live in Cairns you can pick up a free printed copy of the magazine – you can find it at various locations.
Below is the recipe, if you do make it please be sure to let us know what you think & tagged us and #magictreekitchen
Monster Eye Balls
Makes 14 eye balls
1 cup shelled raw pistachios
2 cups shredded coconut
½ cup almonds
¼ tsp. Murray River pink salt
2 tsp. matcha powder
½ cup dried white mulberries
12 barhee dates
1 tbsp. coconut nectar or agave
15g melted cacao butter
3 tsp. creamed coconut or tahini
10g melted cacao butter
1tsp beetroot juice or ¼ tsp beetroot powder
1tsp coconut nectar or agave
Pupil: you can use either black tahini or cacao nibs for the pupil.
1. In a food processor, blitz the shredded coconut until fine and powdery. 2. Add the pistachios, almonds, salt and matcha process until fine crumbs form.
3. Add all the dried fruit (mulberries and dates) to the food processor and blitz until a dough forms, once everything Is combined add the coconut nectar and pulse again.
4. Using a tablespoon, spoon 2 tablespoons worth of mixture into your hand, compact the mixture and roll into a ball.
5. With a teaspoon create a circular indentation in the side of your eyeballs, this is where the white chocolate will sit. Once all the eyeballs are rolled and indented, place them in the freezer to harden for around 15 minutes while you prepare the pink and white chocolate.
6. Whisk up your white chocolate ingredients and put in a piping bag, repeat this process with the pink chocolate.
7. Take your eyeballs out of the freezer, pipe the white chocolate into the indentation, this will be the whites of the eyes. The white chocolate should set straight away so you can go ahead with adding the pink chocolate.
8. Pipe the pink chocolate on top for the iris, you can add wiggly pink lines around the iris to make the eye look more blood-shot and creeeeepy.
Now add the cacao nib pupil and enjoy your creepy Halloween monster eyeball creations!